Lent is finally here! Easter is so late this year, isn’t it?
As a Catholic, I fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, and I abstain from meat on Fridays during Lent. A lot of people find this difficult. In the SAD (Standard American Diet) world, most people fall back on tuna hot dish and the like. In the real food, and especially paleo, world, what is one to do on a day without meat?
Well, the good news is that this is not a vegan day. The following animal products are still permissible:
- Animal fat
- Bone broth and gelatin
Due to my personal beliefs, I prefer to avoid fish on Fridays. Fridays in Lent are suppose to be days of sacrifice, and fish tends to be a higher class protein source in our society. To illustrate this, take a look at this suggestion the priest gave us this past Sunday:
Lent is about sacrifice and simplifying. Figure out how much money you would normally spend on food over (time period), and try to simplify you eating. Keep track of how much you spend on food, and donate the savings to a food shelf. While not all of these recipes may be considered simple, I challenge you to take this suggestion to heart!
Not all of these recipes are fish free. Some have dairy, some have paleo “cheats,” and most but not all are nightshade-free. I made it clear where these exceptions are. Enjoy!
I personally prefer to eat vegetarian recipes on Fridays, so these are first in line!
- Shakshuka (Eggs Baked in Tomato Sauce) from Economies of Kale – Obviously not nightshade free, and would make an AMAZING breakfast as well!
- Coconut Rice Veggie Stir Fry from Raia’s Recipes
- Spaghetti Squash with Creamy White Sauce from Raia’s Recipes – Contains dairy
- Twice Baked Spaghetti Squash Pizza from Raia’s Recipes – Can fit whatever dietary restrictions you want!
- Paleo Alfredo from Meatified – Eliminate bacon
- Spaghetti Squash Pesto from So…Let’s Hang Out – Contains optional dairy and tomatoes
At my church we have soup supper every Friday. Here are some great ideas!
- Cream of Sweet Potato Soup from Paleo Gone Sassy
- Paleo Egg Drop Soup from Paleo Gone Sassy
- Creamy Fish Chowder from Raia’s Recipes – Contains potatoes and dairy
Sides and Basics
- Cabbage Noodles from Empowered Sustenance
- Mashed Cauliflower from The Paleo Mom
- Butternut Gnocchi from Healy Real Food Vegetarian
Nine fish recipes – two more than Fridays in Lent, so you can be well fed all 40+ days!
- How to Cook Your Favorite Fish Perfectly from Happy Healthnut
- Quick and Easy Fried Fish from Raia’s Recipes
- Halibut with Garlic from Paleo Gone Sassy
- Slammin’ Salmon from Cavegirl Cuisine
- How to Cook Pan Fried Cod from Oh Snap Let’s Eat – Contains potato starch
- Crispy Coconut Fried Talapia from Raia’s Recipes
- Delicious Salmon Cakes from Good Food Eating
- Thai Spiced Steamed Fish from Good Food Eating
- Pesto Pan Fried Fish with Veggies from Good Food Eating – Replace peppers with another veggie for nightshade-free
Also great options for Brinner (breakfast for dinner)!
- Spinach and Kale Quiche from The Organic Kitchen – Eliminate bacon, and use whichever crust (or none!) fits your dietary needs
- Kale Omelette from Economies of Kale