I may receive a commission if you purchase something mentioned in this post. See more details here.
As I often share, I love the food on GAPS Intro. It is very satisfying and delicious. However, sometimes, soup just doesn’t do it. Sometimes you want a snack! But how do you find GAPS diet snacks? Particularly in the early stages, Intro doesn’t exactly lend itself to snacking.
Of course, the emphasis should always be on healing broths, fats, animal tissues, meats, and vegetables. Honey, nuts and baked goods should be kept to a minimum in favor of more savory foods. However, there are still options available at every stage of GAPS Intro for healing, satisfying snacks.
GAPS Intro Snacks
- Ginger gummies
- Fat bombs – combine 1 part honey with at least 1 part Stage One-legal fat
- Shredded chicken or turkey
- Cooked vegetables with some fat
- Mug of broth
- Yogurt (if tolerated, in tolerated amounts)
- Fat bombs made with ghee and honey
- Soft boiled eggs
- Hard boiled eggs
- Scrambled eggs
- Nut Butter Pancakes
- Squash Souffle
- Pickles, sauerkraut, and other fermented vegetables
- GAPS Bread (see recipes on pages 200 and 209 of Gut and Psychology Syndrome)
- Crispy Nuts
- Gummies made with vegetable juice (here is a good tutorial for homemade gummies in the flavor of your choice)
- Fries made from rutabaga, celeriac, squash, etc.
- Egg muffins
- Pork Cracklings (leftover from rendered lard)
- Veggie chips (any vegetable you like dehydrated until crispy)
- Squash “Fruit” Leather (reduce honey and eliminate spices for an earlier stage snack)
- Raw vegetables with nut butter
- Cooked apple with ghee added
- Beef jerky
- Gummies made with fruit and vegetable juice
- Toasted coconut – heat gently in a cast iron pan until golden
- Raw or cooked fruit
- Fruit with nut/coconut butter
- Berries and yogurt/coconut milk
- Crackers and cookies made with nuts and vegetables
- Gummies made with fruit
- Homemade Granola – made with nuts, coconut, spices, and honey (don’t add dried fruit until Full GAPS)
Full GAPS Snacks – Homemade
What was your favorite snack before beginning GAPS? Now that you are on Full GAPS, you will likely be able to find a version that will get you close. Google “GAPS” plus the name of the snack you want. If nothing comes up, you can also search for a paleo version. Just be sure to check the ingredients: many paleo snacks use sweet potato, arrowroot, tapioca, cassava, plantains, and a variety of sweeteners that are not GAPS legal.
- The Healthiest Ice Cream Ever (Fruit and sugar free, omit the vanilla for a Stage Six legal snack)
- Baked goods and crackers made with coconut flour and/or small amounts of baking soda (I love this coconut butter bread, toasted)
- Bacon, uncured, with no sugar or additives
- Homemade Nut and Fruit Bars
- Check out this post for great Full GAPS snack recipes
Full GAPS Snacks – Store Bought
It is very difficult to find GAPS diet snacks in the store. They must be made from entirely GAPS-legal ingredients – no soy, no dairy (unless it is raw), no grains, only honey as a sweetener, no processed ingredients, etc. Nuts ideally should be soaked and dehydrated, which of course is basically impossible to find in a packaged food. However, if you do not obviously react to nuts that have not been properly prepared, these could be used for a rare treat.
I am not very familiar with store-bought treats. They are extremely expensive, relative to making your own versions. GAPS can be enough of a financial strain without purchasing these snacks. However, if they fit into your budget, they can help make things easier at times. Just remember to always confirm the ingredients! Here are the few options I am aware of – let me know in the comments if you know of others.
- US Wellness Meats‘ AIP page is also entirely GAPS legal
- Sea Snax
- Exo Bars (Peanut Butter and Jelly flavor is not GAPS legal)
- RX Bars (check ingredients, some may be hard for those early on in Full GAPS)
- Epic Bar Bites (check ingredients, some are good, like these bison ones, but some have non-GAPS ingredients like brown sugar)
- Canned fish (packed in water or its own juices, nothing added except salt)
- Chocolate (Pure7 is the only GAPS-legal brand I know of)
- Coconut Wraps
What are your favorite GAPS diet snacks? Is there anything I missed? What should I add to this list?
Shared on Allergy Free Wednesday.
Like what you see? Please support this blog and help me keep it running by signing up for my newsletter, purchasing products, or donating through the links below:
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. The information contained in this post is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only. You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information. For more information, click here.