I may receive a commission if you purchase something mentioned in this post. See more details here.
Paper. Finals. Eating well. Wedding. Honeymoon. Financial security. Future job. Future education. Fertility.
Breathe. It’s okay.
Why worry about things out of our control?
Power of the Present Moment
We rarely think about the present moment. We’re to busy about thinking about everything else. Worrying about the past, the future, the far future. Where does this get us?
No where. It just takes us away from better opportunities and the chance to be happy.
What if for 15 minutes, you took a moment to enjoy the weather, notice how your food tastes, or jot down 10 things you are grateful for that happened today?
Capture your moments and pay attention to them. Savor moments and become fully engaged. Focus on what you can control. What would happen? Your mood would improve. You could improve your sleep, pain, and immune system. If that took just a few moments of embracing the present moment, why wouldn’t you do it?
Exercises to embrace the present moment
- Listen and pay attention to all your sense. Observe what is around you. After 4 years at college, I noticed a small patio with benches near the library. It is a peaceful little spot. But how wrapped up in yourself do you have to be to completely miss something like that? Open your eyes and embrace the beauty around you! Eat slowly and really taste your food. Close your eyes and listen to the sounds of nature around you (spring is a great time to do this!).
- Mediate. Even just a minute or two can help to ground you and bring you back to today. You can listen to a guided meditation, or just focus on deep breathing.
- Be aware of your thoughts. Do you catch yourself thinking negatively? Worrying about things you can’t control? If you have a negative thought about something, counter it with two positive thoughts about that topic. (
I hate my stomach. I love my freckles and my calves.)
- Journal about what happened today. Just focus on today, not what you hope happens tomorrow.
- Gratitude. Appreciate what you have, instead of focusing on what you want.
We can only control right now. And every moment is a miracle. It would be a shame to miss it.
Like what you see? Please support this blog and help me keep it running by signing up for my newsletter, purchasing products, or donating through the links below:
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. The information contained in this post is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only. You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information. For more information, click here.